Dr Tan Kim Huat
Chen Su Lan Professor of New Testament
PhD (University of London, UK)
Area of Research: New Testament (E)
I started teaching NT studies at TTC in 1996. Over the years, I have taught courses at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and have supervised quite a number of students for doctorates in NT studies. Any NT topic will enthuse me but my main area of interest is the emergence of Christianity from a Jewish matrix, and some of my publications pertaining to this may be found in the list attached.
I have also a strong interest in strengthening theological education in the region. As a result, I have been involved in the work of the first-ever regional consortium of colleges, which goes by the name of ATESEA (Association for Theological Education in South East Asia). I am currently the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of this association.
- ‘Jesus and the Queen of Sheba’, in Jesus and the Scriptures, ed. T. Hägerland (LHJS 9/LNTS 552; T&T Clark International: London, 2016), 46-86.
- ‘Hope, New Testament’, in Encyclopaedia of the Bible and Its Reception, Vol. 12, ed. D. C. Allison, C. Helmer et al. (de Gruyter: Berlin, Boston, 2016), 374-75.
- Mark, New Covenant Commentary Series (Eugene: Cascade, 2015).
- ‘The Anchor in Hebrews 6:19-20’, Trinity Theological Journal 21 (2013): 78-95.
- Commentary on Mark, Asia Bible Commentary Series (ATA, 2011).
- ‘The Number of the Beast: Counting the Options’, Trinity Theological Journal 19 (2011): 1-29.
- ‘Jesus and the Shema’, in Handbook for the Study of the Historical Jesus, Vol. 3, ed. S. E. Porter and T. Holmén (Leiden: Brill, 2011), 2677-2707.
- A Guide to Galatians and Philippians (London: SPCK, 2009).
- ‘In Search of Junia: Some Recent Developments’, Trinity Theological Journal 17 (2009): 35-64.
- ‘The Shema and Early Christianity’, Tyndale Bulletin 59.2 (2008): 181-206.
- ‘James and the Shema’, Trinity Theological Journal 15 (2007):113-28.
- ‘“Seek the Welfare of the City”: Contributions of Diaspora Jews (323 BCE – 66 CE)’, in Pilgrims and Citizens: Christian Social Engagement in East Asia Today, ed. M. Poon (Hindmarsh: ATF, 2006), 37-61.
- ‘Exorcism and Empire in Mark’, Trinity Theological Journal 14 (2006): 34-47.
- ‘Community, Kingdom and Cross’, in The God of Covenant: Biblical, Theological and Contemporary Perspectives, ed. J. A. Grant and A. I. Wilson (Leicester: Apollos, 2005), 122-55.
- ‘Christianity and Homosexuals’, in People Like Us: Sexual Minorities in Singapore (Singapore: Select Books, 2003), 48-51.
- ‘The Shema and the Parable of the Good Samaritan’, Jurnal Theologia Aletheia 5 (2003): 93-110.
- ‘What is the New Testament?’, Trinity Theological Journal 10 (2002): 5-35.
- ‘Church and Anti-Christ in the Proclamation of the Gospel’, in Truth to Proclaim: The Gospel in Church and Society, ed. S. Chan (Singapore: Trinity Theological College, 2002), 1-23.
- ‘Christmas in Isaiah 7.14: Sensus Literalis, Felix Culpa or Sensus Plenior?, Trinity Theological Journal 9 (2000):5-33.
- The Zion Traditions and the Aims of Jesus (SNTSMS 91; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997).
(Presently working on a book on ‘Shema and Early Christianity’)