Rev Dr Wilfred Ho Wai Tat
Associate Chaplain, ACS Professor of the History of Christianity
BSc Social Science (Hons.) (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
MDiv (China Graduate School of Theology, Hong Kong)
MLitt (Trinity Theological College, Singapore)
PhD (King’s College, University of London, UK)
Area of Research: Church History and Homiletics (C)
Area of interest:
Soteriology, Christology, Theological Interpretation of Scripture, John Wesley, Jonathan Edwards, Homiletics
When I accomplished my MDiv in 1987, I strongly felt called to be engaged in Theological Education as my full-time ministry. However, the One who called me led me through three major shifts in my life before He finally opened the door for me to be a theological educator.
My first major shift: God led me to leave Hong Kong and come to Singapore in 1989, as I had married a Singaporean in 1986. Since then, I have gradually learned to look at the world not from an exclusively China-HK-Taiwan agenda but from an Asian perspective.
My second major shift: God led me to serve as a full-time church pastor for 15 years (1987-2002). In this 15-year pastoral ministry, I have been shaped to become a shepherd, to learn to embrace others with a pastoral heart. Ever since I joined TTC in 2007, I have realised that my way of teaching theological students is primarily pastoral.
My third major shift: God led me to join the Methodist Church in Singapore in 1993 and was ordained in 1998 as an elder of the Chinese Annual Conference (CAC), that is to serve as an itinerant preacher. In the process I learned particularly to trust more wholeheartedly so as to obey more willingly. This learning curve also shaped my doctoral thesis: “How the Incarnate Jesus in his Obedience has Actualised Salvation.”
- “‘Having the Mind of Christ and Walking as He Walked’: Implications of John Wesley’s Soteriology for Christian Ethics.” Trinity Theological Journal 16 (2008): 133-143. 2008
- “Jesus the True Human: Towards an Integration of Various Atonement Accounts.” Trinity Theological Journal 17 (2009): 96-120. 2009
- “鱼与熊掌：卫斯理约翰看社会关怀和传福音之关系”。Trinity Theological Journal 19 (2011): 110-129。2011
- “教会啊教会：苦罪世界里的受苦群体！”。Trinity Theological Journal 21 (Oct 2013): 158-172。2013
- 《妇女在教会的服事》。CSCA Occasional Paper Series No.9。主編：何威达。新加坡：三一神学院。2012